Week, end.

Our trip to Buckhorn Wash yesterday went very well. Luckily, it wasn’t crowded down there at all. We stopped at the dinosaur footprint, the pictograph panel, and a petroglyph panel that I hadn’t seen before. We also ate lunch at a very nice spot, and it didn’t rain on us–just sprinkled a tiny bit.
Both my sister and I placed new caches down there: Dinosaur Footprint and Buckhorn Wash. The cache I left there is probably my favorite of all the caches I’ve placed. When I came home through Buckhorn Wash from The Wickiup in March, I saw an awesome rock formation–it’s basically a tall, long, and thin fin of pockmarked sandstone sticking up in the middle of a designated BLM camping area. I wasn’t sure if it could be climbed, but I found out yesterday that it’s definitely possible–Mark and I climbed more than halfway up the least steep side, but it was still a pretty difficult scramble. I think it would have been possible to climb all the way to the top, but I didn’t want to place the cache up there and have somebody risk his/her own life trying to find it.
Today, I went on a little fossil-hunting expedition near Mounds Reef. I started my hike at my cache, and hiked north for about 1.5 miles until I came out on another road. I didn’t find any fossils until I had almost reached the road, and the rocks I found were too heavy to carry all the way back to the car. I left them on the side of the road, then started hiking along the road back to the Mazda. Once I got about halfway back, I realized that the road went pretty far south before it turned back north to where I was parked, so I headed cross-country and took a more direct route.
I was specifically looking for cephalopods, but all I found were some small shells and some fairly large fossils that I can’t identify. What sucks about the whole hike is that it wasn’t until I was nearly back to the car that I really started finding interesting (and numerous) fossils. Now I want to go back another time when it’s not raining to search some more.
After I left the Mounds area, I decided to go south to Desert Lake, then I was planning on going through Cleveland and north on SR-10 on my way home. It had been sprinkling or raining most of the afternoon, but the roads seemed merely damp everywhere I’d been up to this point. However, shortly after I crossed the bridge over the Price River, the road went from mostly gravel to mostly dirt, and it got as slick as ice. I almost lost control and slid off the road doing only 20 MPH, and if I’d gotten anywhere near the edge of the road I’m sure I would have become stuck. I managed to make a 10-point turn in the middle of the road and started back in the opposite direction, and drove the half-mile back to the gravelled part of the road in first gear. After I reached safety again, I cruised back home the way I’d came before it got any more wet.

2 thoughts on “Week, end.

  1. It’s still open. I just updated the main page with the details. I wish I knew where people were getting this information.
    Speaking of the cave, we should get out there and have some fun soon before they do close it! What say you, Mike?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.